Have slip disc and herniation pressing on nerves. In bed and in pain involving all organ. Suggest?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
9 years of slipped C 6-7 disc and herniation pressing on nerves. Pain down arms and 5 years of that in bed. No doctor will help me but chiropractor, and is now pressing on vagus nerve. All cranial nerve involvement and all organ involvement. Eating is very hard and am afraid of starving. Have nutritionalist, but that doesn't correct the problem. Healthy otherwise. Can't function now but a few minutes out of bed.
Posted Sat, 7 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for the query.
Unfortunately this is very unpleasant condition and the worst level of spine where herniation can occur,but you need to be patient and strong.
Treatment is very limitied and unlike in other herniations, the surgery is not a good option for this condition because it has low success rate.
I understand your difficulties and nerve pressure in this area may lead to serious symptoms such as breathing,swalloving and speech difficulties.

You need to do adequate ice therapy,hydrotherapy and physical therapy with streching exercises,especially on bounce ball,you need to sleep in proper position and use adequate pillows.Use good pain medications and corticosteroid shots when necessary. Try to stretch your head in all positions right after you wake up but avoid painful positions. Eat more liquid food,have frequent but smaller meals. eat in standing position and dont lay down right after meal.If symptoms progress you ll need surgical decompression of nerve root,but i hope you will feel better soon If you notice breathing difficulties,choking with food or arm paralysis you should visit doctor ASAP.
WIsh you good health. If you have any questions I ll be glad to help. Regards

Follow-up: Have slip disc and herniation pressing on nerves. In bed and in pain involving all organ. Suggest? 1 hour later
I have had the nerve in my r. arm give out and it dropped completely paralyzed. Dr. didn't even know what was wrong with me. Have to use w/c and electric carts in store, but think it's even past that ability. Paralyzed arm came back in few minutes, breathing swallowing choking all those difficulties. a year in bed this time but can get up some due to chiropractor's help. Go 1x a week for neck adjustments. Not always can sit up long enough for that or drive myself. Can't feel feet or legs after few minutes up. Sharp pains all through viscera and through muscles everywhere. Started out with ataxia and has progressed over 1 yr period. Pulls head down to one side after being up for few minutes. Same answer from you this time? TY
Had PT about 7 years ago. referred me to speech therapist recently "to find out what it was". They know about all the other difficulties. told him about my arm. I wrote my senator this morning to ask why the health care is so poor here. They pass the information on to the surgeons 100 miles from here. No help.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 32 minutes later
This what you are saying is very serious and it is definitely indication for surgery. There is no doubt about it. It should have bern done even before. Chiro will not help, it may only reduce pain slightly.
But it should be first established that cervical herniation is the only cause of your symptoms. So repeat MRI if you didnt already. Also,do brain MRI to rule out ischemic changes because some of your symptoms may be sign of brain atrophy of ischemia, multiple sclerosis or other. Your age isnt contraindication for such surgical procedures if you dont have heart or lung diseases. No matter how poor healthcare is,your condition necessiate detailed evaluation and treatment.
YOu need to contiunue with exercises but some medical professional should assist must work on muscle strength to prevent atrophy and have nerve stimulation if available in your place.