Have slightly high white cells including neutrophils. Could this be due to autoimmune thyroiditis?

Hi I have slightly high readings of white cells and neutrophils and also abnormal serum SPEP results resulting in oligoclonal banding. Could this be due to my autoimmune thyroiditis or something else going on? Thanks
Posted Tue, 5 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 49 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.

The slightly high white cells including neutrophils may be due to sinusitis. However, the oligoclonal SPEP may well be due to the autoimmune thyroiditis. In any autoimmune disorder there is an excess of antibodies which may be reflected as polyclonal or oligoclonal bands of protein.

As of now this finding can just be followed up and further investigations carried out only if the level increases over time.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for further followup queries, if any.
Follow-up: Have slightly high white cells including neutrophils. Could this be due to autoimmune thyroiditis? 12 minutes later
Hi thanks for your reply,

I have now had 5 abnormal speps in the last 3 years each time getting a watch and wait from my GP and told that they dont know the significance. I was also referred to a hematologist about this with no explanation except for more blood tests where it was found I also have(had - I havent been back for follow up) large red blood cells. If it is possibly down to my autoimmune disease why could they not have just told me this is possibly the case? I keep being tested including urine protein test for bence XXXXXXX protein but this always comes back negative. Sorry this is not really a question but just a frustration that I haven't had this explained to me until now and it has worried me a bit. Thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 3 minutes later
Well, the doctors probably wanted to exclude a monoclonal disorder hence all the tests. But if the level has not changed and no monoclonality has been found then nothing to worry.