Have slight swelling on right hand side below knee cap. Have tightness in thigh area. Do lots of zumba and gym exercise. Suggestions?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have a slight swelling on the right hand side just below the knee cap. I also have tightness of my thigh area sometimes and tickling down the shine bone.

I do lots of zumba and gym exercise.
Posted Wed, 25 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be due to a muscular strain.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

The swelling that you have described seems to be muscular strain most likely due to gym exercises or due to inflammation of bursa below the knee cap.

I advice you to:

- Give adequate rest to the involved muscle group and bursa and avoid exercise that involve painful muscles. This will give the muscles some time to heal.

- Can also apply local anti-inflammatory gel 2-3 times a day and take anti-inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen to reduce pain and local swelling or inflammation. Take these medicines as needed.

If you don't find any relief with the above measures, then you will need a detailed clinical examination and appropriate investigations to establish a diagnosis.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and informative and I will be glad to answer any further query.