Have slight protruding breast. Swollen nipple, painful to touch and gaining weight. Looking for cure

Endocrinologist
Question
i m 24 year old male. i have slight protruding breast. on side view..it looks slight large. when i was 13-14 year old..i got swelling of nipple which was painful on touch..then it become painless after few months /years..but it continue to get enlarged very very slowly. in recent years( 3 years) i have gained around 8-9 kg weight. getting little obese too.( abdominal obesity). when i wear t-shirts, my breast protrudes
Posted Mon, 13 Aug 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 8 hours later
It is important to differentiate whether you have plain fat accumulation in your breast area or true breast tissue. The latter is called Gynecomastia. This requires a systematic evaluation by an an endocrinologist in person. WWW.WWWW.WW Review this weblink to understand the potential causes. A formal assessment will require blood tests for CBC, liver and kidney profile and complex hormonal tests such as testosterone, estradiol, FSH, LH, beta hCG and TSH. Sometimes no cause may be found but it is important to eliminate the treatable causes and worrisome conditions.

Follow-up: Have slight protruding breast. Swollen nipple, painful to touch and gaining weight. Looking for cure 9 hours later
sir, i read the link provided by you.
in past..i had renal colic.
my BMI is 26.49( weight 70kg, height 5' 4" )

so what can be possible cause?
is it curable?
is surgery the only option if its true breat tissue??

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 30 minutes later
As I mentioned previously, an extensive work-up will need to be done first that will include blood tests . Possibly other tests as described in the weblink may also need to be done depending on the results of the preliminary round of testing. Gynecomastia can be a diagnostic challenge. So an endocrinologist is the best person to guide you through this process of determining the cause, if one can be found. Treatment options include either addressing the cause. Surgery is an option too if treating the underlying reason does not improve the condition

Follow-up: Have slight protruding breast. Swollen nipple, painful to touch and gaining weight. Looking for cure 23 hours later
sir, i am planning to consult endocrinologist in person on saturday . do i need to go without eating anything for blood tests??

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 11 minutes later
It may not be necessary to fast, especially if the endocrinologist's office does not have an on-site laboratory where blood samples are drawn. And typically the endocrinologist will order labs and you would be required to see him or her for a follow up to discuss the results. However I recommend you call their office and confirm if fasting is needed or not