Have slight pain when swallowing saliva, sore throat like symptoms. Given amoxicillin. Suggest?

ENT Specialist
Question
have a slight pain when swallowing saliva in XXXXXXX XXXXXXX area. very slight and sits bit always occur. zero pain eating food, but at times cold liquid causes same slight pain. warm our hot liquid no pain.

been occurring for 10 days and now feel maybe a slight sore throat type symptoms (barely). previously was only the extremely slight swallow pain (not sure throat type pain).

Currently in business in China and was given amoxicillin. been on 5 days slight improvement i think
Posted Wed, 4 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Allergy, reflux, mild viral, foreign body, thyroid

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. This slight discomfort is most likely to be a mild inflammation in the throat brought about by one or more of the following reasons:
a. Allergy, some times to food.
b. Acid reflux
c. A mild viral infection.
d. A sensitive throat due to lymphoid tissue hypertrophy.
e. Dryness in the throat due to acid reflux, dehydration or mouth breathing (nasal stuffiness, post nasal drip or snoring)

2. Request your doctor for supportive medication along with the antibiotic. This should include an anti-allergic, an anti-inflammatory, medicated gargle / lozenges and an anti-reflux medication.

3. A throat examination may be done to rule out any foreign body. Thyroid problems may be ruled out with a neck ultrasound (USG).

4. You may also take turmeric in warm milk at night.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.