Have slight bleeding in period with cramps. What could be the reason?

Mar 2013
Hi im a little concers i was due to start my period on the 16 october therefore i started to bleed on the 14 th october the bleeding wasnt like my normsl flow period it was stopping and starting bright red ish pink was very light had some craps it only lasted for 11/2 days then stopped all together ?
Posted Sun, 24 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: PLAN OF ACTION OUTLINED Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. I am an obstetrician and gynecologist, and would love to assist you with your query. Sometimes during the entire reproductive life span of a woman, an aberration in the menstrual cycles DOES occur. This means that you might experience a period sometimes that is heavier, lighter or of an abnormal duration than what was expected. A variation of a couple of days ( earlier or later ) is normal, as is the amount of flow. However, any kind of deviation from the normal menstrual pattern should always be investigated for pregnancy or related complications like a miscarriage or an ectopic pregnancy. Hence, a pregnancy test should be taken first to rule these out. Once they are ruled out, then there could be other possibilities to think of. ANy kind of stress, anxiety, deviation from the normal pattern of eating, sleeping etc , ingestion of medications that affect the menstrual cycle ( eg. antidepressants ), weight gain, unaccustomed exercise - all these can cause a lighter period than normal. Subtle alterations in the thyroid hormone pattern could also lead to scanty periods, as could a uterine infection, polycystic ovaries etc. I would advice you to wait and watch for a month more. If the next cycle is also erratic and light, then schedule a gynecological exam ( XXXXXXX per vaginum and per speculum check up ) alongwith - Pelvic ultrasound scan - Hormonal estimation - FSH, LH, prolactin, TSH All the best. Please feel free to ask for further clarifications.