Have sleepless night due to dengue itchy rashes on body. No fever and normal platelet count. Advise?

I have sleepless night due to dengue icthy rashes on my body .i have no fever from last 2 days and platlets are in normal range .please advise me for relief.
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You can use over the counter remedies for relief.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The itchy rashes on the body due to dengue are mostly self limiting. Many such rashes last a while and get better on their own. Therefore the treatment offered is symptomatic for a few days to see whether the condition gets milder and goes away.

Non-prescription (over-the-counter) remedies include
•Anti-itch creams containing camphor, menthol, pramoxine (Itch-X, Sarna Sensitive), or diphenhydramine (Benadryl).
•Antihistamines like diphenhydramine (Benadryl), chlorpheniramine (Chlor-Trimeton), or loratadine (Claritin, Claritin RediTabs, Alavert); and cetirizine (Zyrtec).
•Moisturizing lotions.
You can also apply 1% hydrocortisone ointment for symptomatic relief.
Try to keep the area dry and wash it at least thrice daily with an antiseptic gel.
Discuss with your pharmacist and see if you can get one from each group. The itch cream may be applied to the affected region thrice or 4 times a day, while oral antihistamines may be taken once a day at night.

If after this symptoms fail to resolve, then you will have to consider a visit to your physician.

Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.