Have sleep apnea. Information on cortisol in the body. Does sore and weakened muscles are the symptoms?

I am currently awaiting a sleep clinic to determine sleep apnea - all symptoms point to this diagnosis (referred by my GP). I have fully researched CPAP treatment etc. I would like to know more about the role of cortisol in the body (and weight). Also would sore and weakened muscles be symptoms too - all over, but especially feet, ankles, fingers (and arms) ?
Posted Sat, 26 Oct 2013 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
CPAP is a good therapy

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.

CPAP is a good treatment option for the sleep apnea. Being a non-invasive procedure and that too self-administered makes it a good domicile treatment option.

Cortisol is a substance which rises in the body due to any chronic stress. Be it long term depression, or long term disease, or even long term sleep apnea. It raises weight and causes water retention. In people of disturbed sleep due to sleep apnea, cortisol levels are raised and this contributes to weight gain and further sleep apnea. The cycle goes on and on.
Regarding the second query. yes sore and weekend muscles are also symptoms of sleep apnea. They are all effects of long term poor oxygenation of muscle tissue.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,
Kind regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Follow-up: Have sleep apnea. Information on cortisol in the body. Does sore and weakened muscles are the symptoms? 1 hour later
Thank you for your prompt and useful response, Dr XXXXXXX Yes I am satisfied as to the efficacy of CPAP therapy. Your further understanding and explanations of the other symptom-related points I raised have been both helpful and reassuring. I will close the discussion and provide a rating in 24 hours - just in case I have a follow up. Although I am satisfied at this point.
Kind regards
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 minute later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
It was nice to know that my efforts were of help to you.
Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD