Have skin lesions on forearms. Mildly itchy, whitish and flakish in appearance. How to cure it?

Sep 2013

Hello Doctor: I have developed recently a skin condition on both of my forearms (only). The skin 'lesions' number about 7-12 on each arm and range in size from 1/3 rd - 1 cm across . They are fairly flat but some are particularly characterized as 'whitish' and somewhat flakish in appearance (almost looking like dried white milk ). Others are not nearly as 'whitish' but are seen because their areas are lighter than normal skin color. Some of these are mildly itchy. I'm concerned as to what these may be (?) and what steps I should take(?).
Posted Mon, 27 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 2 hours later

Thanks for posting the question to XXXXXXX Forum.

However age is a no barriers for skin lesion but old is more prone to skin lesion as in your case.
White patches on both forearms are suggestive that lesions are not localized ( not in single area because as on both arms).

Here I mean to say that whatever the cause but in the blood so spread on both arms.
A fungus known as TINEA VERSICOLOR is a normal inhabitant of the skin. Usually this does not cause any disease.

However in some individuals it convert its shape and causes characteristic lesions.
Usually heat and humidity increases these lesions.

Typical lesions as you described in your query resembles like this.

In old age these lesions are more on forearms otherwise more on chest and back.

Hypopigmented on dark skin but in fair skin they hyper pigmented. Color is milk white with fading borders.

Diagnosis is made by a technique, known as POTASSIUM HYDROXIDE (KOH).
A dermatologist will use this method for diagnosis.

So please consult a dermatologist and after physical examination and KOH method he will decide about the disease.

Treatment is very simple anti-fungal ,but take it after the doctor advice.

Here one more point I want to tell you that this is not a serious condition at all except in its appearance.

Hope I have answered your query.

If you have further any question I will be happy to help you.

Wish you good health.
Dr. HET.