Have skin left over from hemorrhoids. Do not have any bleeding, itching or pain. Chances of anal cancer?

Would there be symptoms related to anal cancer? I do NOT have any. But recently watched a show, dr oz I believe that said you should check for this yourself?! Would a lump or other symptoms be noticeable? I do not have any bleeding itching or pain. I do have skin left over from hemmoroids from having 4 children recently. Would a lump be easily felt ? Thank you!
Posted Tue, 6 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Varnika J.P. 4 hours later
Thank you for your query.

Anal cancer is a type of cancer which arises from the anus, the distal orifice of the gastrointestinal tract. It is a distinct entity from the more common colorectal cancer.
Approximately half of all anal cancers are diagnosed before the malignancy has spread beyond the primary site as the symptoms are easily perceived by the patients.

The symptoms of anal cancer are-
-Change in bowel habits
-A lump near the anus
-Rectal bleeding
-Discharge(mucous or jelly like or liquidy)
-Swollen lymph nodes in the anal or groin areas
-Fecal incontinence (problems controlling bowel movements)
-Women may experience lower back pain as the tumor exerts pressure on the vagina

The Risk factors for anal cancer are-
-Human papilloma virus (HPV)-The risk of having HPV increases with the number of sexual partners you have.
-Sexual activity-People who have anal intercourse are more likely to develop anal cancer.
-Lowered immunity-Anal cancer is more common in people who have a lowered immunity, such as people taking medicines to suppress their immune system after an organ transplant or people with conditions such as HIV.

Lumps become noticeable only after they have achieved a suitable size. They are generally felt by digital rectal examination method. Your local doctor will know about this test. If a lump is found to be suspicious then the doctor will ask for further Anoscopy, Proctoscopy and Biopsy,and if required a CT scan.

Coming to the skin that is left over from hemorrhoids. It is called a "SKIN TAG" and it is the residual part of the skin and a sign of healing. It is generally harmless. As tags are benign, treatment is unnecessary unless the tags become frequently irritated. If removal is desired or warranted you can consult a surgeon who will remove them by using cauterization, cryosurgery, excision, or surgical ligation.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need clarifications

Follow-up: Have skin left over from hemorrhoids. Do not have any bleeding, itching or pain. Chances of anal cancer? 3 hours later
Thank you! I do not have any of these symptoms. And have never tested positive for HPV. I do get tested every 2 years with pap.
So this is not something I should be concerned with at this point?!
Answered by Dr. Varnika J.P. 7 hours later

Clearly you are not having any anal cancer related symptoms. So do not be concerned.

It is good to know that you are tested HPV. However it is a very good practice on your part to get tested for HPV every two years. It keeps you on the safe side and should be continued.

In brief, keeping all this in view, I would say you shouldn't be concerned at this point of time.

Let me know if you need clarification.
If all your questions are answered, please leave your feed backs by closing this discussions.

Thank you,
Wishing you good health