Have skin coloured bump close to knee. Skin cancer? Treatment?

General Surgeon
small bump right next to knee I have bump next to my knee then is mostly skin colored with a faded bluish dot in the center and an uneven edge. I've had it for abot six months but recently it got a little bigger and started hurting. I'm seeing my doctor for a physical in two weeks , the only reason I haven't gone before now is I was afraid to tell my parents. What could it be and could it be skin cancer? how should I best deal with this? it scares me like crazy that it's their.
Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2013 in Skin Cancer
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 48 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

It would be much easier to help you, having the photograph of it.
If this bump is more visible while standing, soft (like a vein), most likely this is varicose vein. Knee area is very common for such lesion.
It is also possible that this is a mole. Usually it is benign lesion, however if it starts hurting, changes size, should be removed and send to pathological tests. Skin cancer is always possible, however you need to know that such cancer is the best one to have. Very rarely gives metastases and needs many years to cause any serious complications.
So there is nothing to be afraid of. I suggest you to:
- if this seems to be varicose vein, have Doppler ultrasound of veins and consult surgeon (removal of it will solve the problem)
- if this seems to be a mole, you should visit general surgeon and have it removed and examined by pathologist

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.