Ask a Urologist   »  

Have skenes gland cyst. Does this mean I have urine problem?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016
Excellent

Urologist
Question
If i have a skenes gland cyst/absess does this mean that i will have urine problems in the future or not be able to have a sexual relationship with my husband/
Posted Sat, 13 Jul 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 4 hours later
Hello
Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have
Skene's glans cyst/abscess which develops due to blockage of duct of Skene's gland located very close to urethra..

I shall be happy if you can post few more details.
Was the abscess treated with incision and drained or the cyst was excised completely.?

If you have just drained an abscess you are likely to get abscess again which may lead to UTI, ( it being very close to urethral opening.)

However if you have excised it completely there are less chances of getting it again.

Please consult qualified Gynaecologist for clinical examination and further treatment.In the mean while take broad spectrum antibiotics to control the infection.

You will not have any problem in having sex with your husband.

Hope I have answered your query.
Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions I shall be happy to help you.
Thanks with Regards.
Dr.Patil..

Follow-up: Have skenes gland cyst. Does this mean I have urine problem? 13 hours later
i had a hystrecomy 2 years ago and the catherter that was used killed could this be why this happened

how do the operation and were do they make the insision

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Hello
Thanks for follow up.Though you had undergone Hysterectomy 2 years back it does not have any relation to the surgery or catheterization that was done to drain your bladder for some time.

Skene's glands are located in the anterior wall of vagina just near the opening of urethra.

Please consult qualified Urologist for clinical examination He/She will take the decision regarding excision of the cyst.
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil..

Follow-up: Have skenes gland cyst. Does this mean I have urine problem? 1 hour later
how do they do the operation,how do they get to it

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 minutes later
Hello
Thanks for fresh query.
The operation is very simple and done under local anaesthesia as a day care procedure.
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: Have skenes gland cyst. Does this mean I have urine problem? 13 minutes later
i am on antibiotic at the moment and it has calmed it down, if they use a camera up the uretha will the urologist still be able to see it?

Hello
Thanks for writing again
Antibiotic will control the infection but it will not eradicate the cyst.It has to be excised completely by surgery.
Since the cyst is not connected with urethra Urologist will not able to see it through endoscope.
Thanks and regards
.Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: Have skenes gland cyst. Does this mean I have urine problem? 4 minutes later

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later
Hello
Thanks for fresh query.
Te antibiotic will control infection but will not eradicate the cyst.
The Cyst is not communicated wit the urethra hence can not be seen while doing cystoscopy.
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: Have skenes gland cyst. Does this mean I have urine problem? 24 minutes later
if a skenes gland cyst/ absess is not picked up with a camera up the urethra how is it picked up because it hasn`t shown up on the ct scan

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 5 minutes later
Hello
Thanks for follow up.The diagnosis of Skene's gland cyst or abscess is confirmed by palpation on clinical examination by well experienced Gynaecologist.
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: Have skenes gland cyst. Does this mean I have urine problem? 3 hours later
The Gyno said he thought he felt something and said this is not his area and sent me to a Urologist. So who's area does this fall in?

Hello
Thanks for follow up.
If Gynaecologist has no confidence to treat it , You can certainly consult Urologist who can perform the surgery under local anaesthesia.
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: Have skenes gland cyst. Does this mean I have urine problem? 14 hours later
how common is this? this is realy painfull?

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 41 minutes later
Hello
Thanks for fresh query.
It is not so common.
The pain indicates active infection .
Please go ahead and get removed at earliest.
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: Have skenes gland cyst. Does this mean I have urine problem? 17 minutes later
my appointment is on Friday, but the antibiotic calm it down alot will the urologist be able to diagnose it still. or see it?

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 8 minutes later
Hello
Thanks for fresh query.
The relief that you got is due to infection being controlled by antibiotic.,but the cyst will be still there. Please go ahead and get it removed.
Thanks and regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: Have skenes gland cyst. Does this mean I have urine problem? 32 minutes later
thanks heaps

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Hello
O.K Bye Please do not hesitate to ask in you need my help.
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: Have skenes gland cyst. Does this mean I have urine problem? 4 days later
I had my appoimtment with the urologist she is testing me for FBP, LFT UE
URINE COYTOLOGY X3,URINE MCS ? WHAT

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 50 minutes later
Hello
Thanks for writing again.
Investigations advised by your Urologist are routine tests that are done before any conclusion and part of routine protocol of clinical assessment.Go ahead and do write once he takes any decision about further treatment.

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.