Have sinus problem. Getting cramps and twitching sensation in ear, eyelid. Are they related?

ENT Specialist
Hello! I've been getting some light cramping or twitching in my ear, or at least that's what it feels like.. Very strange.. Aside from that, my left eyelid twitches on and off throughout the day.. I do have sinus issues and need to have a balloon sinuplasty due to them, but could all of this be related?
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. The twitching or cramping in the ear is most probably a result of Eustachian Tube Dysfunction. Get a Tympanogram (Impedance Audiogram) done. Other possible causes are myoclonus (spasms of the tiny ear muscles) and trigeminal neuralgia. Which ear is it (is it on the same side as the twitching eyelid?) and is the hearing normal?

2. Twitching of the left eyelid (Blepharospasm) is usually harmless and insignificant, especially since your scans are normal. The cause is unknown and there is no treatment.

3. a light headed and off balance feeling is common with sinus problems. Do you have photophobia? Does the ye twitching worsen with speaking or other activity? If so Meige's Syndrome must be ruled out by a Neurologist.

4. If you can share the CT PNS Scan images, I will be able to give you an accurate assessment.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.