Have sinus pressure, lost voice. Having coughing and blowing green-yellow mucus. Feeling sore throat and white spots in tonsil. Guide

ENT Specialist
Hello...started on Thursday with sinus pressure, by Friday I lost my voice completely. Rested Sat-Mon and feeling better...never had fever, but coughing and blowing out green-yellow mucus. Tonight my throat is sore and I have white spots on my tonsil and the back of my throat.
Posted Sun, 23 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 15 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. These symptoms suggest an infection, probably viral in origin. Opportunistic bacteria usually cause further secondary infection while the immune system is weakened. The Cold and Sinusitis has caused an infected Post Nasal drip (PND) which has caused a pharyngitis and laryngitis. Did you have any fever or bodyache?

2. Since you have noticed white pus spots, you must get your throat and tonsils examined and a throat swab sent for culture and antibiotic sensitivity.

3. Request your doctor to prescribe an anti-allergic decongestant and a mucolytic. Steam inhalation and a medicated gargle may help. Your doctor may decide about the use of antibiotic, pain killers (for the sore throat) and steroids (for the laryngitis) based upon the severity of symptoms or to speed up the recovery. Timely medication may also help prevent complications. Blood tests are usually done if there is slow recovery.

3. You may start using a medicated oral rinse for gargling. Take adequate rest and keep yourself warm and well hydrated.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.