Have sinus infections. White sore on septum, hard lump inside nostril, tingling eye. Due to deviated septum?

ENT Specialist
Question
hi am 36 and i have been suffering with sinus infections for about 2 years, i have a white sore on the septum that crusts over and bleed with touched, i also have a hard lump inside the same nostril,toward the front it started years ago like a pimple that went away, but now there is just a hard lump there.also i get tingling in eye,and dwon face and lips of this side of face.is it just a deviated septum?
Posted Mon, 8 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 19 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. The hard lump might be the caudal end of the septal cartilage and the white sore that crusts and bleeds may be the little's area on the front inner end of the septum.

2. If you can attach a close-up image under good illumination, it may help in an accurate assessment. Which side is it on?

3. Get a plain CT PNS (Para Nasal Sinuses) Scan done on a multi-slice CT Scan Machine with 1 mm coronal, axial and sagittal cuts.

4. The tingling in the eye, face and lips may be due to Trigeminal Nerve irritation due to the DNS (Deviated Nasal Septum) and the nasal turbinates touching.

5. DNS is a common finding, however a nasal examination and the CT Scan may reveal why your symptoms are increasing since the last two years.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have sinus infections. White sore on septum, hard lump inside nostril, tingling eye. Due to deviated septum? 59 minutes later
Thank you so much for getting back to me.
All the problems are on the right side. if you look up into the nasal passage you can see that the septum is red and inflammed with the sore is at the back of the septum look like a colesaw, but not as raised.I will send a picture but unsure how to send it to you.
The problems all started when I went to work, where there was A/C on all day.It dried out my nasal passage. And at home if I have the heating on it irritates my nose, so I have been using a hymidifier to bring moisture to my bedroom at night. Also when I started wearing false nails, and the sores were up my nose, it probably was'nt a good thing to pick them,as the false nails harbour so many bugs behind them. I think I really need to see a ENT doctor to let them have a look really, but I do think it is down to the deviated septum.
XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 11 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Seems to be a reparative granuloma due to trauma from finger nails. You can upload an image in the attach reports option.

2. You are correct regarding the nasal irritation as air conditioning and heating tend to dry up the nose, which is usually worse on the side of the DNS.

3. Continue the use of a humidifier and get a nasal examination done as soon as possible. This should include a diagnostic nasal endoscopy (which is a very simple examination), if possible.

4. Medication is given to humidify, disinfect the nose. Cauterization of the bleeding area may be done if the crusting and bleeding is troublesome.

Regards.