Have single pimple like thing on penis. What could it be?

Dermatologist
Question
I have a single pimple like thing on my penis. What could it be?
Posted Wed, 24 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 55 minutes later

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Skin lesions over penile region occur frequently in men. Some of them are sexually transmitted.

Based on description you mentioned I can assume following common conditions conditions
1.Bacterial infections
2.Viral infections like wart,molluscum etc.
3.Age related growths like seborrohic keratosis etc
4Cystic growths etc

But I will like to mention that information provided by you is somewhat insufficient,so I Request you to send the following details along with photograph of your lesion.

1. Duration of lesion (months,days)
2. history of any sexual exposure in recent times
3. Lesion is painful or painless
4. Size,and progress (Increasing in size or stable)
5. Any other history which you think significant.

These case details and photograph of lesion will help me to guide you in a better way. There is a facility available in this forum for uploading a photograph.

In any case do not try to squeeze the lesion, otherwise it will lead to infection.

I hope we will continue our discussion once you send me details.

Follow-up: Have single pimple like thing on penis. What could it be? 35 minutes later
I just put anti-bacterial cream over it and there is a little discomfort when I rub it hard. I will try to get more facts since I noticed this a week ago and was painful during sex.

Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 32 minutes later

Thanks for follow up.

Painful lump within a week or so suggest a bacterial infection or an infected cyst.

Viral infections usually go painless.

But I still suggest you to upload a photograph which will help in a much better way since treatment for each condition is different and exact diagnosis is required.

There is no harm in applying antibiotic cream ,you can continue with this.

Waiting for your response.Thanks

Follow-up: Have single pimple like thing on penis. What could it be? 23 hours later
I had this single pimple like growth for 2 weeks.
I noticed this 2 weeks ago and was painful during aggressive sex with my partner/wife.
It hasn't grown since. Nor has it spread. I did notice a couple days after intercourse about a month ago my penis was very itchy around head and had to scrub it in shower and it subsided.

Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 4 hours later
Hello ,

Thanks for uploading the image.

Lesion is suggestive of mucocle .It occurs most probably due to blocked ducts.

There might be a fair chance of resolving lesion by its own within few weeks.

If not so then it has to be removed by surgical enucleation for which you need to consult a doctor.You can either consult a dermatologist or a surgeon for it.

I hope this can solve your query.Take care.

Follow-up: Have single pimple like thing on penis. What could it be? 5 hours later
I was thinking Molluscom and I would Like to try a an acid or cream. Can you suggest any?

Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 9 hours later

In the first impression I was also thinking of molluscum.But molluscum lesions are somewhat more solid in consistency and have a central punctum in it from which we can see molluscum body.

Anyhow unusual presentations can be present and we can not rule out that possibility.

For treating molluscum we can use topical wart paints which contains salicylic acid but they can cause irritation.

Best treatment for genital molluscum is topical immiqumod cream .

It has to be applied at night on alternate day.Surrounding skin can be coated with vaseline to prevent any irritation.Effect usually comes within 4 to 6 weeks ,in some cases it can be much earlier.You will need a prescription for it.

Hope this can solve your query.Take care.

Follow-up: Have single pimple like thing on penis. What could it be? 3 hours later
Iam not satisfied. Can I have a second opinion?

Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 7 hours later
Yes.

You can have a second opinion if you think answer given by me is not satisfactory.

You need to contact customer care for this.

Thank you.

Follow-up: Have single pimple like thing on penis. What could it be? 2 hours later
Here is a close up picture. Please look closer. It is almost round. A little irritated when it is disturbed or rubs against underwear.

Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 13 hours later

I have gone through the close up photograph.

The lesion is round and elevated above surface.

I will still say it does not look like molluscum.

Being a viral infection ,lesions of molluscum spread on other parts producing new lesions.There are no new lesions in your case.

It seems to be due to a blockage of duct or a cyst or some benign growth.

In any case it will need to be treated by interventional measures.Radiofrequency cauterisation is much better than direct surgical interfernce.

I will still insist you to wait and watch for 1 to 2 weeks and then consult the doctor.You can continue with antibiotic cream.

Thank you.