Have silky hair. Treatment for oily and sticky scalp?

Scalp has become too oily offlate. Even after washing hair, its still oily & sticky. What is the remedy ? My hair texture is usually very silky & straight
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Neera Kataria 2 hours later

I shall try to help you.

Sticky hair may be due to following:
- Humid climate
- Decreased frequency of washing hair
- Certain shampoos have some oil or conditioners in it which can lead to stickiness.
- Hair spa activities may be the cause
- Increased oiliness may be due to increased oil secretion by the oil glands (Sebaceous glands) due to hormonal changes or medication

You may do as follows:
1. You may apply hair oil for a few weeks
2. Apply a mild shampoo like triclenz daily for a week and then alternate days
3. Avoid using a hair conditioner or use it once a week
4. Avoid using hair serum or gels or other hair cosmetics

I shall like to know whether you changed your shampoo or hair oil or conditioner or a recent hair spa

Hope this solves your query. Let me know if you need any clarification.

Follow-up: Have silky hair. Treatment for oily and sticky scalp? 2 days later
Does applying hair oil helps ? as the hair will already be oily.
I did try head& shoulders today and hair is not that sticky.
Also, with regards to this shmapoo triclenz - Could you also suggest where can I get that.

Last couple of months I started applying a differet oil - Dabur's almond oil. Also, used Tresemme shampoo sme 4 times and then stopped immediately after this problem started.
Answered by Dr. Neera Kataria 35 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

I apologise for my typing mistake, I meant 'avoid hair oil for a few weeks'. I am sorry for the inconvience caused.

If you feel ok with head and shoulders, you may use it. Triclenz by curatio is available at pharmacy shops.

As you have mentioned that you used Tresemme before the problem started, I feel the stickiness might be due to that. It can even be due to dabur almond oil. Since you have stopped it, the stickiness of hair has decreased.

So avoid oil and conditioner and adjust the frequency of shampooing according to your need, daily or alternate days.

Hope this helps you.
Follow-up: Have silky hair. Treatment for oily and sticky scalp? 16 hours later
I shall try triclenz and let you knw the results
Answered by Dr. Neera Kataria 22 hours later
Sure, you do that and contact me if you have further queries.