Have significant degenerative changes in cervical spine. Do I need surgery?

I had MRI and they found C2-3 degenerative right facet hypertrophy w/o significant foraminal or spinal stenosis. C4-5 broad based posterior disc bulge w/ o foraminal stenosis. C5-6 bilateral uncovertebral hypertrophy causing moderate right and left formaminal stenosis. C6-7 bilateral uncovertebral joint hypertrophy with moderate left and right foraminal stenosis and mild broad based posterior disc osteophyte complex. C7-T1 advanced degenerative left facet hypertrophy with severe bilateral foraminal stenosis. Symptoms greater than one year with headaches, continual shoulder pain, running down arms, numbness down arms. Is this something that requires surgery? I really don't want to run the gambit again of first PT, shots, etc. that do not work and I don't want to live of pain mgmt! There is no quality of life. Waiting for referral back to neurosurgeon. What does all this combined mean
Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 2 hours later
Hi, welcome and thanks for writing in.
All these combined means significant degenerative changes in your cervical spine. Intervertebral discs between multiple vertebra are bulged posteriorly. It is causing compression on spinal canal and root of nerves . It is described in detailed in your report.
All these nerves supply shoulder and upper arms. If there is compression nerve root it will cause numbness and shoulder pain. Alarming sign is shoulder pain because weakness of shoulder muscle is associated with cervical sign.
Unfortunately you are fade up with all management ,still there is no other good way to get relief. Once you had correct physiotherapy then you will feel better. Then you will have better quality of life. Operation of cervical spine is not a good choice.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further concern, please let me know.