Have shoulder pain, bloodshot eye and feeling mild lightheadedness. How to get relief?

Hi I have a strange pain in my left shoulder, a bloodshot left eye and very mild lightheadedness. i also get a feeling of something moving from my chest area as my heart beats not a pain more a movement this only happens once every 5 - 10 minutes
Posted Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist. I read your question with diligence.
Let us take first the second question-'something moving from chest area'. What you have described are possibly the symptoms of heart beating out of rhythm that is arrhythmia. Normally, heart beats for about 100,000 times a day (72 x 60 x 24); one percent of these beats can be normally out of rhythm, to a sensitive and more perceptive person, these may be perceived as missed beats. A further test of Holter may be needed if your ECG suggests or your doctor feels, wherein 24 recording of ECGs is done by a portable i Pod like device to be analyzed by a computer, In normal persons Holter has revealed that at times heart can beat faster rate it can be due to rhythm disorder which can be:
1. Paroxysmal Supra Ventricular Tachycardia (PSVT), comes like a bolt from blue and after few minutes to hours stops as abruptly as it came. Manifests as Palpitation. This is not the symptom you are having.
2. Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia: Similar to above but gradual set in and set off also manifests as palpitation that is not the situation with you.
3. Irregular beats inappropriately timed ventricular or supra ventricular ectopics (Paroxysmal Atrial Ectopics or PAC's) which may manifest as missed beats or at times as palpitation. If ventricular function is normal (as determined by clinical examination, echocardiography or when there is normal ability to perform adequate exercise in form of stress test it is normal) then these ectopics are of not much significance except a little apprehension for the person who perceives them. All of us are exposed to stress, how we react to that is what counts. Once investigated and declared normal heart I assume anxiety will also be alleviated.

If you feel that it is troubling and because of stress which I feel Personally, Then you ought to have doctor's consult, where a cardiologist (any GP with interest in cardiology will be competent enough) will thoroughly examine you and may plan ultrasound of heart that is echocardiography which would confirm normal structure and function of the heart. . These are needed to find whether remotely, you need any medication or not. There is nothing to worry, the whole thing could be normal aberration and you have become more perceptive.
Meanwhile, start doing yogic exercises which act as stress buster. You must remember stress is universal it is reaction to stress which matters and wrong reaction or aggressive reaction is the one which causes harm. I have taken this translation of original Sanskrit description of one of the yogic asana. It can be done without much effort ten minutes in the morning and ten minutes in the evening.
I quote:
How do you do Savasana?
1. Lie with your back, legs straight, and arms at your sides. Rest on your hands five
inches apart from your body with palms facing upward.
2. Rest on your feet drops open and closes your eyes.
3. Let your breath occur naturally, when breath is free mind also free. When the
breath is, allows moving naturally, the mind settles into itself.
4. Allow your body and mind to feel heavy on the ground.
5. From your feet soles to head-crown, consciously set free every body part, organ,
and cell.
5. Relax your face; make your eyes drop XXXXXXX into their sockets.
6. Welcome peace and silence into your mind, body, and soul.
To exit savasana:
1. First take a XXXXXXX breath followed by gentle movement from toes to head (head
be the last part) and awareness back to your body.
2. Then, slowly roll to your right side and rested there for few seconds, inhale and
comfortably move to seated position.
Hindrance or obstacles to the savasana
The most common obstacles to a Savasana practice are:

Nap (a brief sleep),
Mental agitation,

Although Savasana is the most difficult asana to perform, the focus is simple - relax everything (every body part and mind). If you get distracted or agitated, you can always undo, unwind, let go from the start
End of quote
The cause of pain in left shoulder, mild lightedheadedness seems to me because of cervical spondylosis. Use hard bed and thin pillow for sleeping. No jerky movements of neck. Exercises of neck muscle and posture like an army General, straight. Not much bend in the neck. These measures shall help you a lot.

The other symptom you described is blood shot one sided eye. That rules out most of the pathological serious conditions. Usually, it can be hard to tell if bloodshot eye is due to a serious condition or not. Generally speaking, if bloodshot eyes are accompanied by pain, an injury, a change in vision, nausea and vomiting, or light sensitivity, see a doctor.
If there is further query which you might have I will be most happy to answer. Good Luck.
With Best Wishes:
Dr Anil Grover
MBBS, MD (Medicine) DM(Cardiology)
Cardiologist and Internist
http:/ WWW.WWWW.WW