Have shortness of breath, stuffy nose and deviated nasal septum. Feeling tired. Looking for cure

ENT Specialist
Had pain in my right side this morning been having shortness of breath. Been on alot of antiboditics since November. Now been referred to an ENT. They wont do skin testing til mid May.Nose is stuffy been told I have a deviated septum gave blood today for some allergies and thyroid. Just don't know what is going on more concerned about feeling like I can't get a deep breath. Tired alot. I have lost weight 15 pounds since November I am down to 115 lbs
Forget my left ear pops every time I blow my nose tried Claritin and Zyrtec along with Flonase still have shortness of breath I have also tried Zantac too still have issues concerned that skin testing I won't be able to take anything medicines from 5/3 to 5/20 because they are splitting the testing into two sessions
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 3 hours later

Thanks for writing to H.C.M. for your query.

I have gone through your query regarding short of breath, though you have deviated nasal septum and ear popping on left side. Your ENT doctor says as it is all allergic.

After listening your symptoms and co-relating them with possible pathophysiological developments it appears as along with deviated nasal septum you are also having sinusitis and that is responsible for headache. This may be rule out by C.T.scan of paranasal sinuses.

I do agree with the observation of your doctor as deviated nasal septum give rise to problem in nasal breathing while patient can take full breath orally, but if allergic phenomenon is going on in the chest also, than patient always feels short of breath. This involvement of chest may be easily detected by auscultation on chest by stethoscope.

As your ear also pops this means there may be hole in your ear drum, but this is a different issue and can be managed by your ENT doctor after examining and investigating the same.

For short of breath you should take -

(a) Cough syrup containing bronchodialator and mucolytic.

(b) In emergency you may take steroid.

I would like to tell you since diagnostic proceedures are going on you therefore above medicines you should take after due concent of your treating doctor.

Follow-up: Have shortness of breath, stuffy nose and deviated nasal septum. Feeling tired. Looking for cure 9 hours later
I had a cat scan and blood work yesterday. Primary care physican also indicated that my thyroid was hyperactive and I had heard that in the emergency room a few months ago and the allergist told me it is borderline but will be there. So I think I am going that route while waiting for allergy testing in May. Do you know what the range is for blood work for my thryoid. I will get it back next week and going to get my test from the er as well.Family doctor called today to let me know that my thyroid levels are normal. She said I could always try medicine for acid reflux. Does acid flux cause shortness in breath. I notice that my stomach growls alot after eating. I burp while eating a meal. I have diaherra or loose stool but thought it could be a Side effect of the Claritin or Flonase I am taking. I was on alot of antiboditics in December and just have not been right since. I did nt ave a smiley doctor and was on 4 or 5 medicine over a course of a month or two. I continue to loose weight because I have to take breaths while eating and feel like it is hard to swallow times
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 14 hours later

Thanks for your revert.

The hyperacidity and GERD can do shortness of breath when it is in extreme and before that it will produce pain in stomach, distension of abdomen, flatulence etc. However, as you said that just after eating your stomach growls a lot and you have diarrhea. Therefore, I think there may be chances of I.B.S. (irritable bowel syndrome). In this syndrome all endoscopic findings remains normal, all stool test also remains normal and this is a clinical diagnosis. Therefore, you may consult your physician regarding this concern.

Follow-up: Have shortness of breath, stuffy nose and deviated nasal septum. Feeling tired. Looking for cure 8 hours later
Does that cause the shortness of breath? Should I change the things I eat or the way I eat?
I took a Zantac last night before did and felt good
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 16 minutes later

Welcome again in H.C.M. for clarification.

If you feel that, any particular thing is allergic to you and gives you trouble, that you can avoid and see the change.

After taking Zantac if you feel better than you may continue it, but your history of illness is favoring Irritable bowel syndrome so it will be better to consult your physician for above syndrome.