Have shortness of breath and sinus congestion. Prescribed flonase and taking mucinex d. Had quit smoking. Suggest?

I quit smoking 3 months ago and I continue to have shortness of breath and sinus congestion. I've been prescribed flonase, an inhaler and am taking mucinex d. Wondering how long these symptoms will last and is this normal? X XXXXXXX was clear & blood oxygen level is 99.
Posted Thu, 30 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

It's of utmost importance and healthy that you quit smoking. However, it would be important knowing whether you have any family history of asthma, or whether you have ever been formerly diagnosed to have allergic rhinitis? Any wheezing or recurrent episodes of respiratory distress at night or when exposed to the cold?

Shortness of breath is common in respiratory problems as well as problems with the cardiovascular system. It is good that your X XXXXXXX image was satisfactory with good oxygen saturation pressures.

It would be interested to formerly exclude asthma through an appropriate clinical examination, lung volume measurement with spirometry. Other chronic lung diseases like chronic bronchitis and emphysema, considering past exposure to smoking should be evaluated for .

Chronic nasal congestion is common in allergic rhinitis. Poorly managed this could lead to sinusitis. when there is failure to clinical response, other factors like nasal polyps, deviation of the nasal septum, excessive grown concha or at times a tumour of the carvum (nasal fossa) must be excluded formerly. This usually involves consulting your ENT specialist for a proper clinical evaluation and fibroscopies to visualize the nasal areas.

My suggestion is for you to book an appointment with an ENT specialist and a pulmonologist, depending on the case, for a proper evaluation and management.

Thanks and best regards,
Dr Luchuo,MD.