Have shortness of breath. Diagnosed with duodenal ulcer and dyspepsia. Suggest some effective cure

I have trouble in breathing since may 2006. My actual problem is short breaths and whenever i enforce a XXXXXXX breath for satisfaction, breathing through nose, I get it with a burp or I have to breathe using my mouth to avoid the burp. I clearly remember this being triggered by a hot cup of horlicks (in milk), which I had early morning of a day in may 2006 on empty stomach. I had started smoking in march 2006 but was occasional, sometimes I went 15 days without smoking.
Later, in started giving me difficulty in having my food as I had to pause during my lunch and dinner to catch my breath and eat again. I adjusted to it over a period of time.
I used to skip my breakfast which made me belch often and left me with bloated stomach after every
meal. A week back I went to doctor and was diagnosed with DUODENAL ULCER & DYPEPSIA after an endoscopy.
But I still do not understand the link between short breaths, tight/bloated stomach and the ulcer.
Can anybody explain to me, Please?? FYI: I started smoking March 2006 and quit Feb 2012, Alchohol-moderate consumption
Posted Wed, 29 Aug 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Arnab Maji 2 hours later

Yes, abdominal diseases sometimes may give you breathing trouble. Acid-peptic disorders if associated with distending stomach in dyspepsia after small feed or Gastro-esophageal reflux diseases may cause respiratory problems like cough and catch in breath or breathlessness. You didnot mention whether you are treated properly for your duodenal ulcer and dyspepsia or not. You should also consult your doctors to rule out gastro-esophageal reflux diseases. There may also be some "micro-aspiration" though rare without any precipitating factors during food intake may lead to such catch in breath during having your meals. Another issue which is increasing in incidence day by day now is pharyngo-laryngeal reflux which may lead to this kind of symptoms. For this you should consult an ENT specialist.

Another issue you have to keep in mind that these symptoms may be unrelated to your duodenal ulcer and dyspepsia. It may be initial features of obstructive airway diseases like asthma or chronic obstructive airway diseases ( COPD) as you were a smoker. To rule out these you need to have a pulmonary function testing and consultation with a pulmonologist.

Dont consume alcohol and never start smoking again because these may aggravate your ulcer disease and can aggravate your symptoms.

I think my information and advice will be of help to you. Please write a review on this answer. If you want to know more you can write back to me.

Wishing you quick recovery and good health.

Dr. Arnab Maji