Have short term memory loss. History of colon cancer, heart disease, depression. No interest in spiritual things, cannot finish projects

Good

Neurologist
Question
Hi, I am very concerned , I have short term memory loss , 57 year old with history of colon cancer , (had 8 years ago) diabetics ,heart disese, high blood pressure, menapause... I can't remember if I paid a XXXXXXX or not forget to write them down in the check book , can't sleep have hsitory of depression , no interest in spiritual things or life in general , very hard to start and finish projects . I still have 7 of our 12 children at home . The last six are adopted with special needs , and I homeschool 3 of them , their ages are 5-40 . I can't remember the stories the children or my husband told me from yesterday , now they are all looking at me and wondering what is going on ,
Posted Sun, 26 Aug 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 10 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

I share your concern.

The short term memory loss in your case may be due to involvement of certain areas of brain as a result of multiple factors - e.g. colon cancer, diabetes, heart disease and high blood pressure. Else it could be anxiety related also.

You should have a good neurological examination including mini-mental scale assessment. A psychiatric consultation for depression and possibly anxiety will also be in order. After this we can have investigations like routine blood tests, nutritional parameters and MRI of brain as per advice of your doctor.

Any treatment will depend upon the cause we find out. So approach your physician to initiate the process.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have further enquiries.

Dr. Pratap

Follow-up: Have short term memory loss. History of colon cancer, heart disease, depression. No interest in spiritual things, cannot finish projects 3 hours later
hi,
Should I talk to
a cancer doctor ? I always thought colon cancer can travel to your liver or lung not your brain ? I had stage IIIC with 5 out of 6 lymph nodes positive , can I also get an oncologist view ? Thank you .

XXXXXXX

Hi and thanks again,

Possibility of spread to brain can be there. You might consider oncology consult after evaluation by a neurologist.

You can take an opinion from a cancer specialist here on this forum by posting a query to them.

Hope this helps.
If you have no more follow ups for me, please close this discussion.

Dr. Pratap