Ask a Urologist   »  

Have short foreskin. What should be done?

Hi,Iam a fit,healthy 56yo,and Iam on no medications.I have always had a short foreskin,and for a couple of months now it has been going back over my glans for which seem longer periods of time.I used to pull it forward again but most of the time now I dont notice it.It feels comfortable now when I leave it back,and have been sleeping this way now for the last couple of weeks.Can I just leave it back all the time,also at 56 Iam not bothered about looks etc,just want to know if its safe please.
Posted Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The only risk would be paraphimosis. This is a condition where the foreskin becomes trapped behind the glans. It is uncommon but can occur if the foreskin is left retracted for long periods of time.
It is more likely to occur in men with a history of infection of penis or those with poor penile hygiene.
It would normally present with painful swollen glans and is treated by manual reduction.

Because , it may occur if the foreskin is left retracted for long periods, it would be best to avoid doing this for an entire night.
You may want to consider circumcision which is a safe procedure.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any questions