Have short and irregular periods. Had unprotected sex, missing period. HPT negative. Pregnancy?

Question
Hello. My name is XXXXXXX I got my period february last month on the 6th I believe, ended it around the 9th or 10th. I usually have short and irregular periods. I had protected sex with my boyfriend with no condom breaks or anything wrong and It is now march 7th and I haven't had my period yet. I am completely stressed out where I am having panic attacks. I took a pregnancy test and it came up negative. I really do need advice. Should I expect to get it maybe when my period ended the last month? around the 9th or 10th
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 12 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the query,
Thanks for your query. The first cause of lack of periods in a sexually active woman is a pregnancy. Its already good if the pregnancy test was negative. The duration allows you either to do another pregnancy test using blood samples or do an obstetric ultrasound to visualize the uterus, which is virtually very cheap and effective.
However, will like to make you understand that irregular menses, is a common phenomenon noted in young women between the ages of 18 and 25.
But I suggest you visit your primary care physician for another blood sample pregnancy test and and / or an obstetric ultrasound to be sure.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.

Follow-up: Have short and irregular periods. Had unprotected sex, missing period. HPT negative. Pregnancy? 4 minutes later
what do you think the chances could be. Do you think I technically have a little bit longer to determine
i mean it was protected. what are the odds

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 3 minutes later
Hi and thanks for your question,
No, not at all. After a pregnancy, it takes 2 weeks for the test to be positive.
Its just a confirmatory test because there are many false negatives out there. Reason why doing a gold standard test if really in doubt like the obstetric ultrasound.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.

Ok, I understand. I mean, technically could I have a little bit longer for my period to end up coming due to me being stressed

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 6 minutes later
hi and thanks,
its very probable. Washing out the doubt shall only be through doing a blood B HCG test and an obstetric ultrasound.
thanks and best regards.
And as I said, this is to clear out all doubts, but its a common phenomenon seen in females of your reproductive age.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.