Have shivers, sensitive skin and fatigue. Use Nicotine. Normal?

ENT Specialist
Question
For 3 months, Ive had shivers off and on, sensitive skin like chills, minor fatigue, feels like a mild flu. No fever, all labs are normal. Don't drink or use nicotine. Im 40 yo firefighter at 160 lbs and 5'7" Im seeing an Immunologist Monday. Any thoughts??
Posted Sat, 8 Jun 2013 in Asthma and Allergy

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 56 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. You may have a non-specific allergy such as to change in temperature, light, cold air or breeze and so on.

2. The chills may also signal some infective focus in the body.

3. There are bound to be some side effects of your past intake of tobacco, alcohol, work out supplements and caffeine.

4. If your skin allergen test turns out normal, you should also get tested for Food Intolerance.

5. There is an exhaustive check up for auto-immune disorders that may be advised by your immunologist.

6. If your immunology work-up turns out o be normal, this may be sub-clinical hypothyroidism, generalised weakness or multiple nutritional deficiencies.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have shivers, sensitive skin and fatigue. Use Nicotine. Normal? 22 hours later
OK Thank you. So you think maybe theses symptoms are food related? I was eating 3 protein bars a day with soy and lots of wheat products. Are these signs as well of possible Valley Fever, MS, ?

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Yes, there is a high possibility of this being food related with your recent intake of these supplements.

2. Excluding Valley Fever will require diagnostic tests such as sputum examination with special staining, PCR tests, CSF examination and a Chest X-ray. Valley Fever is a fungal infection that usually targets immunocompromised persons.

3. Multiple Sclerosis has many other presenting symptoms and is unlikely to be missed on an MRI.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have shivers, sensitive skin and fatigue. Use Nicotine. Normal? 10 minutes later
Ok. But if its food related. Why am I still having symptoms. Iv stopped taking everything, including wheat products several weeks ago.

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 21 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Food intolerance is a delayed onset allergy mediated by IgG (as against immediate hypersensitivity mediated by IgE) which causes an auto-immune reaction in the body. This causes symptoms similar to mild flu that do not seem to respond to regular treatment.

2. You may have to discontinue these foodstuffs for at least three to six months. It is also possible that you may have overlooked a food item in your diet.

Regards.