Have shiny, scaly, sensitive and tight skin. Worrisome

Hi.I have recently noticed the skin around my XXXXXXX is shiny and feels also looks scaly as well, particularly on the lower half of the XXXXXXX there is no pain, and I haven't noticed any reduced sensitivity, but it is starting to worry me
Posted Sun, 25 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 30 minutes later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

The description you have given point towards a condition called Ichthyosis (fish like scaly skin).

Certain factors predispose to ichthyosis like poor nutrition, hormonal disorders like that of thyroid, infections like leprosy, HIV and certain cancers.
Medications like cimetidine and nicotinic acid also predispose to ichthyosis.

Since you are non smoker so the risk due to smoking is not there in your case.

You said you have the scaling on the XXXXXXX towards the lower part which is the most common site of Icthyosis.
Other sites can be back of arms and the back.

If your scaling tends to improve in more humid or warmer weather it further points to Icthyosis. Itching can occur due to associated dryness.

The treatment consists of treating the condition causing it like I above mentioned.

However symptomatic relief can be achieved by using moisturizers which restore hydration of the skin. These moisturizers work best when applied after bathing when the skin is still moist.

If your dryness does not improve by twice daily applications of moisturizers then you should visit a dermatologist for evaluation of the cause and appropriate treatment of the cause.

I hope I have answered your query.