Have shingles and granddaughter has had chickenpox. Can she be infected if went to see her?

I may have shingles. My granddaughter has had the chickenpox vaccine. If I see her socially will she be at risk for shingles?
Posted Fri, 2 Aug 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 25 minutes later
Hello ,
Welcome to healthcare magic
Even though Shingles and Chicken pox are caused by the same virus, shingles is not as infectious as chicken pox. Chicken pox is a droplet infection so coughing and sneezing will transmit it. But shingles will transmit the virus only if you touch the rash or come in contact with the blister fluid for long time. It won't spread if you see her socially. Moreover from shingles others get chicken pox and not shingles.

Chicken pox vaccine protects the child usually for a duration of 10 years.

So do not worry. Please XXXXXXX your grand daughter without worrying about transmitting chicken pox.
Hope this helped