Have sharp stabbing pain, sore jaw on one side while swallowing but no headaches. Suggest?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have sharp stabbing pain every ten to twenty seconds no headaches also sore jaw on one side when I chew open mouth wide
or swallow, also pain if I press down my hair on right side only what can it be or what can I take
Posted Sun, 15 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be a T-M joint inflamnmation.

Detailed Answer:
The symptoms that yop0u have mentioned are likely to be due to a temporomandibular (T-M) joint inflammation.
The pain will improve with NSAID (ibuprofen, diclofenac, celecoxib and so on. Sometimes they can cause stomach irritation in some people - Take them after food. Simple Paracetamol alone and or in combination could also help.
At times, a muscle relaxant - like chlorzoxazone or methocarbamol - is added.
You can get a proper prescription from your General Physician.
You can also do a hot fomentation in the area for pain relief.
In case the symptoms are persistent, then do consult an orthopedician for proper examination and investigations.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.