Have sharp pain in femur. Possibility of phlebitis?

Hi. I have a periodic sharp pain in my right femur just above my kneecap. At times it is extremely severe (my leg buckles); at other times it isn't so bad. I must use a cane at all times. Is this possibly phlebitis?

If this possibly phlebitis, how serious a condition is it? I have had the pain for about three months and I am taking pain killers prescribed by Greater Phila. Spine and Pain. If it is phlebitis, is there a possibility that a blood clot in a vein will break loose and travel to my brain?
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 35 minutes later

If the pain is deep inside the thigh in actual femur bone then yes, it could be a blood vessel related problem. In here there may be a blockade to the blood supply to the bone causing transient ischemic effects presenting pain. Such pain is pulsatile and can wax and wane depending on the hemodynamic status.

Also yes, if it is a blood vessel disease associated with inflammation (Phlebitis) there are chances of a clot getting dislodged to vital structures.

A better way to diagnose the same is by getting an simple Xray of the femur.

If the pain also involves surrounding soft tissue then it could not be due to blood vessel pathology as there is a XXXXXXX anastomosis around the knee joint. Such soft tissue pains could be due to inflammatory diseases which has to be evaluated by getting a C-reactive protein and an ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) test done.

Hope, I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.