Have sharp elbow pain, arm does not feel right and even bump it. Fracture?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Question
I am concerned I fractured or injured my elbow. I can move it, however, my arm does not feel right..and if I even lightly bump it, there is severe sharp pain.
Posted Mon, 21 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
It is definitely significant injury as I can see since there is severe swelling and sign of skin contusion. However,it is questionable is it fractured or luxated. Elbow fractures are not common in your age,but possible if there was significant trauma. Swelling may be caused by hematoma or oedema so it doesnt mean that there is bone deformity. if you can feel bone deformity in area of swelling then this is fracture for sure. if you cant bend and extend your arm fully then it can indicate luxation.
All in all, this is definitely something that necessiate xray exam as soon as possible because fracture and luxation can be ruled out only by xrays.
Till that,immobilize your elbow with triangular bandage or mitella in 90 degrees,keep it elevated,apply ice compresses on it and rest.
If there is fracture,cast immobilisation is necessary for at least 3 weeks.
Wish you good health. if you have any questions i ll be glad to help. Regards