Have shallow ulcers on external labia and white vaginal discharge. STD?

Have shallow ulcers on external labia and white vaginal discharge

Please tell me what this is on my vaginal area.
Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 43 minutes later

thanks for your health concerns. there are a couple of shallow ulcers in the external labia that raise concerns for a sexually transmitted disease such as herpes simplex; there is also a whitish, fluid vaginal discharge that may or not be normal depending in your usual state; the best course of action would be to see a provider who can do a full pelvic exam looking with a speculum into the vaginal canal and cervix to see if there are extra clues and obtain samples for microbiology analysis

yours truly

Dr Brenes Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN
Follow-up: Have shallow ulcers on external labia and white vaginal discharge. STD? 29 minutes later
I was told before that it could be a furuncle. Is that a possibility?
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 8 hours later

A furuncle is a small abcess at the level of the skin, usually painful; it is usually a bacterial infection. It would be for sure in the differential diagnosis. The best way to tell the difference other than direct examination would be a scrapping for culture (viral and bacterial) of the deep surface of the lesion.

Best regards,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD