Have severe tonsillitis infection. Taking augmentin, combiflam and crocin. Safe?

Severe toncilitis infection for last 3days. 40 male. Taking augmentin 625 twice daily along with combiflam and crocin.
Not getting relief after 2 days. Worried. Is it right Medicine.
Posted Sun, 28 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query,

Generally the penicillin class including Augmentin should be adequate for tonsillitis. If you are still having severe symptoms after 10 days on antibiotic you should review this with your doctor. Usually the dose for Augmentin is 875 mg twice daily. Check with your doctor about that as well.

Sometimes the tonsils may need to be removed in severe cases. Hopefully you will not need this but just so you know - it is sometimes a consideration.

Thanks again for the query,

Please let me know if I can be of any additional assistance.

Dr. Galamaga
Follow-up: Have severe tonsillitis infection. Taking augmentin, combiflam and crocin. Safe? 10 hours later
If there is no improvement after 2 days after consuming 4 tablets of augmenting, is it required to change the antibiotic?
Will arithromycin 500 mg once daily will work or more effective?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 14 hours later

I would complete the full course of antibiotic. No change for now.

If after the treatment you still have symptoms I would suggest you request a referral to an ENT specialist for further exam and treatment recommendations.

Dr Galamaga