Have severe thyrotoxicosis. Having heart palpitation and mild fever. Am I taking right medicine?

Hi there im a 24yr old female medical student. My question is that ive been diagnosed with severe thyrotoxicosis in november 2012, since then ive had 4-5 hospital admissions with high palpitations high blood pressure an high temperatures for which i had literally everything but my sypmtoms are not coming under control, then the docs ruled out a thyrotoxic storm.. I've had an ultrasound of the thyroid wich shows two nodules abnormal... Despite all my treatment my heart rate is still high varies between 130-199 simetimes goes upti 255+.. Im currently on a high dose of beta blockers taking propranalol 160mg twice a day and on carbimazole 60mg three tablets every morning and im taking 60mg of predisalone every morning. I was intially on propathyurracil (ptu) 4 tablets 4 times a day but that now has been switched to carbimazole . My concern is that im taking the right medications but still my palpitations and temps are not coming down... I wonder if u could help me out thank you x
Posted Sat, 16 Mar 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 29 minutes later
Hi there,
Thanks for asking.
Hyperactivity of the thyroid gland takes several months (after initiating the medications) to get normal. If you change your medication, you should expect a little more time since the new medication needs time to reach the desirable level in the body.
Meanwhile, Multinodular goiter happens most of the time after a long time of hypothyroid state (during that period thyroid gland has been under pressure of more than normal amount of stimulant hormone to secrete sufficient thyroid hormone).
It is good that you ask your doctor if the area you are living has shortage of iodine in its soil. Many areas in the world also lack sufficient amount of selenium in their soil and it is another important reason of problem in the function of thyroid.
Many foods may also contribute to problem in the function of thyroid, like cabbage, cauliflower and soybean. Iron deficiency and Vitamin A deficiency are among the other factors. So make sure these things are covered as well.
Please let me know if you have any other question.
I wish you the best health and success in you every endeavour.
Follow-up: Have severe thyrotoxicosis. Having heart palpitation and mild fever. Am I taking right medicine? 3 days later
hi i wanted to ask if it safe to take kelp supplements or any form iodine
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 46 minutes later
Hi there, that is a nice question. It is safe to use supplements containing iodine. If you use more than required amount (as you mentioned any form of iodine), it could lead to hyperfunction of the gland and if somebody uses too much of iodine it can even cause down regulation of the receptors on the gland cells and lead to hypofunctioning, while it is not recommended as a therapeutic method.

Let me know if you have any other concerns.

Follow-up: Have severe thyrotoxicosis. Having heart palpitation and mild fever. Am I taking right medicine? 11 hours later
Thank you...
I was told taking supplements containing iodine can lead to severe symptoms of hyperthyroidism especially if you already suffer from thyrotoxicosis so i was just abit concerned That if i do take kelp or iodine supplements i do not want to trigger of my hyperactive symptoms..... How much of idoine supplements can you take daily that is safe?.... What is the daily recommendation of iodine intake as i do not to take more than needed?... What happens if you take tooo much iodine or kelp supplements?.... My t4 levels are 42 so i wondered if it is ok to take kelp or iodine solution?... What can happen if you take too much kelp or iodine?...
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 2 hours later
Thanks for asking.

The normal range for T4 is 4.5-12.5 mu g/dl or 58-161 n mol/l. The units of your T4 level is not clear but if your T4 level is a little low, it may need adjustment in a long term. At this moment your doctor is adjusting the whole system and it takes a while that all the pathway including the receptors, etc gets regulation.

You can ask your doctor to see if the soil and the water in your area has enough iodine. Some places which are above the see and some other areas as well level may not have. If it is so, you may take the minimum required iodine amount whenever your doctor realizes that it will not lead to flare up of your thyroid condition. Therefore your minimum iodine requirements depend upon your current thyroid function.

I have already described the effects of too much iodine in my previous reply.

I wish you the best health.