Have severe throbbing pain under and around my collar bone. Related to muscle or infection?

I have severe throbbing pain under and around my left collar bone. As the pain worsens, it travels down my left arm and even into my wrist. I have not injured myself to my knowledge. For whatever reason the pain seems to get worse throughout the day, evenings being worst. I have full range of motion in my arm/shoulder and movement does not seem to increase or decrease the pain at all. I have no idea where to start with a doctor! Is it muscle-related? Infection? Heart? Any suggestions would be helpful. I do have an ultrasound scheduled on Monday after seeing my gynecologist but I have no idea if I'm even headed the right direction with that! Help!
Posted Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 26 minutes later
thanks for your questions. The fact that the pain is stable throughout indicates something inflammatory.
The best exams first to do is a chest X XXXXXXX Results from this confronted with results of an erythrocyte sedimentation rate, a measure of degree of inflammation, a C reactive protein and a CT scan might necessary to determine the exact cause of the pain.
Its after this general screen that other examinations or direction to specific specialties could be done. Meeting your family physician first for a proper examination and undertaking these exams first, on its own could be appropriate. Based on the results, orientation towards a specific specialist, if need be, would then be done.
Thanks and hope this helps as I wish you just the best. Do not hesitate asking further questions if you deem necessary.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.