Have severe throbbing in stomach above belly button. What is causing this?

i have severe throbbing on the right side of my stomach just above my belly button... no pain and it has gone on for hours. its very irregular and NOT my heart beat. what is this???
Posted Sun, 5 Aug 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

What I understand from your question is that you are having pain in right side of abdomen above belly button and pain is not continuous it comes and goes.

There could be various reasons for this kind of pain. The common ones are:

1. Pain due to stone disease-any stone anywhere in urinary tract on right side can lead to sever pain.
2. Some infection in G.I.Tract
3. External pain-may be due to stretching of muscles etc.

Please do the following which should help.

>Try to sleep on the side of pain, this will offer some comfort.
>Avoid taking heavy diet, take light diet and more of semi solid foods.
>Take more liquids.
>Take analgesic for pain that you are comfortable with.

In case the pain is bothersome then you need to visit your doctor and after examination he may advise some investigation like ultrasound, urine examination.

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to ask again if you have something more to ask.

Follow-up: Have severe throbbing in stomach above belly button. What is causing this? 8 hours later
You did not read my question correctly. I said there is no pain and the throbbing is constant

Good to hear from you again.

Sorry I misunderstood.

Practically throbbing is a type of pain sensation.When the cause is related to tubular structure like urinary tract or some fullness kind of thing you have more of throbbing sensation rather then pain in particular.

Please follow the advise given earlier.