Have severe throat pain and heard popping sound while sneezing. How to get relief?

ENT Specialist
Question
I have an ENT issue. I have a severe throat pain. My pain isn't like strep or mono. I have no discharge, no fever, and no cold symptoms. A couple of years ago i heard a loud "pop" when I sneezed. I stopped smoking on 12 DEC 2009, so i do not smoke. Since the sneezing incident, my throat pops when i take a drink (without failure). Now, A couple of weeks ago, I started feeling pain around my cricoid and I can palpitate a small lump on the right side of my larynx. The pain after sneezing is 10 out of 10. Now i have severe constant pain. Please help.
Posted Sun, 25 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 51 minutes later

Thank you for your writing back.

1. The popping of the throat when you swallow can normally happen due to a number of reasons:
a. The Eustachian tubes connecting the ears to the nose are normally in a collapsed state and open only when swallowing, yawning and so on.
b. The entire throat is suspended from the skull base via an intricate system of muscles and cartilages. Crackling of these cartilages increase with age as they calcify and harden.
c. Spasms and myoclonus of muscle or muscle groups may also lead to this.
d. The entire throat and voice box slides up and down the cervical (neck) spine . This may be the source of the sounds thay you feel.

2. Pain around the cricoid is usally due to acid reflux or cricopharyngeal spasm where the effort of swallowing increases.

3. Get a USG (Ultrasound) of the neck done for the small lump that you can palpate on the right side of the larynx. Get a videolaryngoscopy and a Barium swallow done.

4. The pain after sneezing is also due to the above reasons.

5. It is good to hear that you have stopped smoking.

6.You may follow up with the results of your investigations here.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.