Have severe swelling on knees. Difficulty in walking and straightening leg. What to do?
User rating for this question
I have severe swelling on the left side of my right knee. I can barely walk. Straightening my leg is no problem, but moving it even slightly left or right brings me to my knees. Help!
Posted Fri, 13 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Temporary relief suggestions; causes listed Detailed Answer: Hello ma'am and welcome. Thank you for writing in to us. I am sorry to hear about the symptoms that you currently experiencing ma'am. But, being an orthopedician I feel that an examination would be most mandatory ma'am. To start with, a physical examination would be required, followed by an arthroscopic investigation, an x-ray of the right knee (along with an x-ray of the normal knee for comparison), and a blood investigation (serum uric acid levels, RH factor, and ESR levels) in order to be able to accurately diagnose and accordingly treat your symptoms. From experience, following could be the causes for a presentation similar to yours: -Arthritis (especially common in post-menopausal women; i.e. above the age of 45-50) -Ligament rupture/tear/injury -Various conditions resulted from injury (no such history mentioned by you ma'am) -Bursitis -Bakers cyst -Meniscus tear -Gout -Infections -Outstretched ligaments -Overuse of the joint -Knee cap dislocation and a few others. Please do visit a doctor ma'am, as establishment of a diagnosis is half the victory. In the meantime you could go about the following suggestions: -Cold compress application on the affected region that will reduce swelling -Mild pain management medication that you can get over-the-counter (eg. tylenol) -Knee brace or compress: To help limit or reduce the swelling and also provide stability of the joint -Do not exercise or put strain on the affected knee I hope you found my response both helpful and informative ma'am, and I also hope you understand why it is necessary for you to visit a doctor at the earliest. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, i would be more than happy to help. Best wishes.
People also viewed
- Why am i urinating often why always tired and dizzy
- Symptoms of hip arthritis
- Symptoms of phosphaturia
- Knee swelling leg redness tender legs
- Lump on shin redness and swelling in leg difficulty walking
- Hand burnt by oven can i be prescribed medication
- Symptoms of neonatal sepsis
- Knee painful to straighten leg
- Hit skull during skating dizziness treatment
- Symptoms of gum abscesses
- Leg swelling knee lower leg
- Symptoms of opiate addiction
- Knee popped able to walk and straighten the leg
- Painful subcutaneous hard bruised nodules what are these
- Constant cold sneezing fatigue viral infection