Have severe stomach pain and suffer constipation. Diagnosed diverticulosis. Have abdominal pain. Had appendix. Suggest?

May 2014

Thank you. I have had a spell of severe lower stomach pain. I also had constipation. I took medicine to make me have a stool only to have bad diarhea for two days. I have been told I have diverticulosis. Could this be my problem. Today,two days later I am better but still not great. Still some lower abdominal pain, not as bad as the first day. What do you think? I am a healthy 77 year old female. Have had what I thought were stomach upsets but never with pain this bad. I have had my appendix out when a child. My e-mail address is XXXXXX
Posted Wed, 30 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please find detailed answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read your query in detail.

Diverticulitis happens when feces get trapped in the pouches (diverticula). This allows bacteria to grow in the pouches. This can lead to inflammation or infection.

Symptoms of diverticulitis may last from a few hours to a week or more. Symptoms include:

Lower abdominal pain, usually in the lower left side, that is sometimes worse when you move. This is the most common symptom. Other symptoms include:
Fever and chills.
Bloating and gas.
Diarrhea or constipation.
Nausea and sometimes vomiting.
Not feeling like eating.

The treatment you need depends on how bad your symptoms are and whether you have an infection. You may need to have only liquids at first, and then return to solid food when you start feeling better.

If you have an infection, your doctor may prescribe antibiotics. Take them as directed. Do not stop taking them just because you feel better.

For mild cramps and abdominal pain:

Use a heating pad, set on low, on your belly.
Relax. For example, try meditation or slow, deep breathing in a quiet room.
Take medicine, such as acetaminophen (Tylenol, for example).
You may need surgery only if diverticulitis doesn't get better with other treatment, or if you have problems such as long-lasting (chronic) pain, a bowel obstruction, a fistula, or a pocket of infection (abscess).

You may be able to prevent diverticulitis if you drink plenty of water, get regular exercise, and eat a high-fiber diet. A high-fiber diet includes whole grains, fresh fruits, and vegetables.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back in case of doubts.

Dr. Vivek