Have severe stenosis,swollen ankels and legs. Had epidurals and laminectomy. Taking inderal. Any side effect?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I am a 82 yr old female who has been diagnosed with severe L4/5 stenosis. I have had three epidurals to conteract pain. These were administered over about a three month period. Following the second & third epidural, i experienced ankle & leg swelling. I have had a subsequent laminectomy three days was very successful in relieving my back/leg pain' however, I have an increase in the above side-effect of swelling ankles & legs, now extending up to my knees & higher. This has occurred without any redness or pain & I have a normal temperature & normal urine output. My only medication is Inderal for a familial tremor. Is it possible that the epidurals & /or surgery is the cause for this swelling & is itt something to be concerned about? My blood pressure is 120/80.
Posted Thu, 1 Aug 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 2 hours later
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

In my opinion, there is no relationship between the epidural injections and the development of swellings in ankle and foot.

However, there is a possibility of the occurence of DVT ( deep vein thrombosis ) after a lumbar laminectomy and may present with symptoms similar to you.

Considering your age, this is definitely a matter of concern and you need a thorough evaluation to rule out all other causes.

I suggest you a doppler study of the legs to rule out DVT.

Hope I have addressed your issues. Happy to help for any further clarification.