Have severe sleep apnea. Planning for D&C to be done. Worried for using anesthetia during surgery

Am having a D & C in an outpatient surgical center in my community in a couple of days and will have general anesthesia. I have severe sleep apnea and am 79 years old. Wondering if anesthesia will be applied through a mask on my face, through my veins, or by a tube down my throat. Have a slightly loose crown on one of my teeth and am concerned about a tube dislodging it. Will not have an opportunity to speak with the anesthesiologist until shortly before the surgery is performed. Would appreciate your input.
Posted Mon, 18 Mar 2013 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 11 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your questions.

Based on what you are telling me I will assume that you are having this D&C related to bleeding from the uterus, or post-menopausal bleeding. In addition, based on what you mentioned in your medical history (diabetes and sleep apnea) it sounds like they are using a general anesthetic to better protect your airway while you are having this procedure. The concern is about 'aspiration' or leaking of acid from your stomach into your lungs. There are a couple of different ways to 'protect' the airway - sometimes they use a tube, and in some locations they can use a softer airway called an "LMA". You should ask them about this. If they feel strongly about the 'tube' then it is because of their concern about minimizing the risk of aspiration. I would bring the issue of the crown up to the Anesthesiologist at the time of the procedure. They might not be that concerned and will likely be able to put your mind at ease.

I hope that this helps. Please ask if you have additional followup questions.