Have severe pain in upper abdominal region. Suggested hyper acidity and gastritis. Prescribed mucaine gel and an intravenous injection

May 2014

I had severe pain in my upper abdominal region and was advised that it was a case of hyper acidity and gastritis. I was given mucaine gel and an intravenous injection to contain the acidity. I was ok for two days.... The pain has again surfaced and I took mucaine gel... It reduced the pain but is recurring now after half an much mucaine can I have
Posted Tue, 22 Oct 2013 in Peptic Ulcer
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Any other medications and endoscopy details.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I would like to know how was the diagnosis and hyperacidity and gastritis made in you. Have they done an endoscopy? or just going by nature of pain and it getting relieved by anti gastritis medications?

Please send me detail about what injection you have taken intravenously and the dosage and if your doctor has given you any other oral medication.

Mucaine gel is used for the temporary relief from the symptoms of indigestion, heartburn or stomach discomfort which can be caused by: peptic ulcer, gastritis, oesophagitis, hiatus hernia. It is particularly useful in patients who have not responded to antacid therapy alone, usually relieving their symptoms of oesophageal irritation.

Mucaine suspension combines an antacid effect (Aluminium hydroxide and Magnesium hydroxide) with a topical local anaesthetic (Oxethazaine), which helps relieve the pain associated with hyperacidic conditions. Aluminium and Magnesium hydroxide react with stomach acid to neutralise it. Oxethazaine is a strong local anaesthetic which allows it to be used in very dilute solutions. It acts in a number of ways to numb the walls of the stomach and relieve the pain associated with hyperacidic conditions.

Shake bottle before use. Should be taken undiluted, but the suspension may be followed by a sip of water if desired. 10 to 20ml four times daily should be taken 15 minutes before meals and at bedtime. Do not exceed recommended dosage.

Please do let me know if you got endoscopy done and any other medications and I will proceed further with discussion.

Waiting for an update from your end.