Have severe pain in hip, lower back and thigh. Have pulled muscle, no relief with pain killers. Treatment?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, I am a 53 year old female and have had severe pain in my left hip, lower back and thigh for 6 weeks now.

My doctor said I've pulled a muscle, but I cannot get relief with pain killers and I'm not getting much sleep.

The pain is a lot worse when I walk.

Posted Wed, 18 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
This can be due to nerve compression

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case with diligence.

This kind of pain can be due to nerve compression because of spinal disc bulge. Nerve compression give radicular pain going to buttocks and thigh. I will advise investigation like X XXXXXXX and if required MRI to confirm diagnosis.
I recommend my patient neurotropic medicine and muscle relaxant to get relief.
At your age there can be associated osteoporosis so I advise my patients to take vit D supplement to strengthen bones and if required calcium also.

There is another possibility of hip joint arthritis which I would like to exclude. So besides MRI, hip joint examination and X XXXXXXX hip joint is entailed.

Many of my patients find relief with physiotherapy in form of ultrasound , short wave diathermy so I advise to you also.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Have severe pain in hip, lower back and thigh. Have pulled muscle, no relief with pain killers. Treatment? 5 hours later
Thank you.

My brother has rheumatoid arthritis in his feet & hands & osteoporosis in his hips ( both been replaced ) .... Diagnosed aged 25 yrs.

Is it likely I could have inherited this?

Kind Revards
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes there is increase chances

Detailed Answer:

Yes it is likely that Rheumatoid arthritis can be inherited,but probability is less.
And now at your age of 53 chances of inheritance of RA is rare.
Possibility of autoimmnue RA can be there.
Simple blood test like RA factor, CRP ,ACCP will rule out it if you have supportive RA symptoms, otherwise no need to worry.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.