Have severe pain in heel bone. Pain more during morning. X-ray shows calcium growth at the heel end. Suggestions?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have severe pain in my heel bone. The pain is very severe in morning after which the in the course of the day the pain subsides. However, the pain is so severe in morning that it feels like a thousand nails are pierced in my heel. I got the x-ray of my right heel the report indicates there is some sort of calcium growth at the end of the heel bone and the same is sharp and prominent. Can you please suggest......!!!
Posted Tue, 23 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 48 minutes later
From your symptoms, it seems that you are suffering from plantar fasciitis with a bony spur seen on the X-ray. It happens due to inflammation of the plantar fascia.
A short term rest and take care of the inflammation.
To help the pain, ice the area immediately after getting up in the morning. You can use either a store-bought cold pack or a frozen wet towel. Ice for 10 or 15 minutes. To reduce inflammation, take an aspirin or ibuprofen at mealtime.

A 4-inch wide Crepe bandage wrapped around the region also helps reduce discomfort.
Calf and anterior (front of) leg stretching and strengthening addresses the biomechanical problems and reduces pain.
Pay careful attention to selecting the correct shoes based upon the foot type (flexible pronator vs. rigid supinator). This is extremely important. In selected cases, shoe inserts (orthotics) may be necessary. Shoe inserts are often the key to successful treatment of plantar fasciitis. The shoe inserts often permit patients to continue their routine activities. You need to choose a shoe with a soft sole to decrease the discomfort.
If the pain does not resolve, an injection of cortisone can decrease the inflammation around the bony spur.
You may need few physiotherapy sessions along with prescription anti inflammatory drugs after getting yourself examined from an Orthopedician.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.