Have severe pain in back. Taking pain killers. What to do?

1 have severe pain in my back at the bottom of my rib cage . I cannot lie down in any position as the pain is much worse when i go to bed. I have rubbed deep heat into it (i thought it might be muscular) and taken a fairly large dose of pain killers, they are not working. This is the second day and nite I've had it and it is no better.
Posted Sat, 20 Jul 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 hour later
Dear Madam,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX .

Looking into your problem I see that you are suffering from rib pain since 2 days that hasnt got relieved even after taking pain killers and medicines . Since you dont give any history of fall or other injury it is less likely to be traumatic.

There can be many causes for this but it is very difficult to pinpoint one cause just based on history but we can discuss the possibilities .

At age of 64 possibility of hairline fractures cannot be ruled out . Sometimes costochondritis can occur .

It is also a possibility that the pain is from underlying structures rather than ribs. I advise you to see a physician and get yourself evaluated get a Chest X XXXXXXX done to look for any bony abnormality . A USG chest can be required further . Physical examination to elicit the point of tenderness is very necessary to look for the cause and localise the pain .

For pain relief you continue using your pain killers as advised plus you can use topical analgesic gels for immediate relief .

Hope this suffices.

Dr. Shruti