Have severe pain in ankles, toes and calves. Can Diovan causes leg pain?

Excellent

Rheumatologist
Question
CAN DIOVAN CAUSE LEG PAIN I TAKE 160 MG A DAY

WHAT CAN I DO ABOUT THE PAIN...MORE SEVERE ON LEFT

IN ANKLES N TOES AND CALVES
Posted Wed, 7 Aug 2013 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 7 days later
Dear Madam,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well Diovan (valsartan) is an angiotension II receptor blocker which is used for the control of hypertension, heart failure, and other cardiac problems . But you didint mention any of these in your past history .

Valsratan is reported to cause Back pain, muscle cramps, myalgia , arthralgias and feeling of fatigue but in very less number of patients . Some studies document only 3 % of such side effects .

It will be difficult to say just by history that whether your pain is related to valsartan or something else. But I suggest you to see your treating doctor for evaluation and change of drug if necessary . Till then you can take analgesic like ibuprofen for relieving pain after consulting your doctor .

Wish you good health.

Dr. Shruti