Have severe osteoarthritis, scoliosis and chronic neck pain. Safe way to take diclofenac and misoprostol?

Dec 2014

thank you for this service! I had a horrible reaction to the addiction of tramadol- took it for 5 years. I am 84 and have severe osteoarthiritis and scoliosis and in chronic pain!-neck and back- I have been given diclofenac-misoprost 50-0.2 tb. what is the very safest way to take this medication and for how long? I have taken 2 pills at nite and 2 in the morning with food. I think I might be able to use it only once a day-hopefully taken in the morning. I appreciate so much you answering this big concern. I use! Sertraline and synthorid
Posted Sat, 13 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 2 hours later
Welcome to Health Care Magic and Thanks for question.

You are 84 year old female. You are having severe osteoarthritis and scoliosis and chronic pain. You were on tremadol and recently you have started taking Diclefenac misoprostol combination. You are on sertaline and synthyroid.

Tremadol is a opioid drug, it is a good and safe painkiller. But is is highly addicting and it has high abuse potential. Its good that you left tremadol.

Diclofenac is a NSAID drug, it is a good pain killer. But it has many side effect like NSAID drugs, and one of them is severe gastritis and stomach ulceration. Elderly people are at risk of them. So in such persons it is combined with Misoprostol. Misoprostol is used in anti ulcer medicines and over combination of misoprostol and diclofenac is safe combination. Also the combination has zero addiction potential. You are taking 50/0.2 dose medicine. You can take one tablet 2-3 times a day but if your pain can be controlled with one dose you can take once a day only. And always take it with food, as risk of side effects decreases with food.

Hope I cleared your doubt, If you have more questions I will be happy to answer.

Thanks, wish you a good health.
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi MD