Have severe lower back pain. Pain is unbearable and on medication. Suggest the treatment?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Yes, Please. I am 34 female and have severe lower back pain ongioing for sometime. MRI revealed L4, L5, S1 have had the disk go hard and now 2 and a few months on L6 has the same. The pain is mostly unbearable and I just don't know what to do, I have been on that many medications and almost been killed by some!... I have three children aged 3, 4 ,9. Please advise, any welcome
Posted Mon, 11 Nov 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Initial management is conservative.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

I understand your concern with regard to your ailment. The initial management of Lumbar disc disease is always by conservative means which includes the following guidelines -

- Maintain optimum body weight,if you are obese
- Avoid lifting heavy weights as it imparts more strain on your back
- Avoid excessive forward bending activities as it will worsen the disc protrusion. if you want to bend forwards, do it with your hips and knees flexed.
- Use a lumbosacral back support to stabilize your spinal muscles
- Intermittent pelvic traction might be helpful to cause a regression of the protruded discs
- Physiotherapy is needed to strengthen your back muscles. Physiotherapy has to be done, only after the acute pain has subsided.
- Use analgesics like advil or aleve and muscle relaxants as needed. Vitamin B12 supplements & Pregabalin may be helpful.

If your fail to improve with the above measures, an Epidural steroid injection or Facet blocks may provide good symptom relief for a few months.

If all these measures fail to provide you relief, then surgical decompression may be an option.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further

Follow-up: Have severe lower back pain. Pain is unbearable and on medication. Suggest the treatment? 10 hours later
Hi Dr,
Thank you for your reply, I have done almost all that you have said.
The weight is a little over but I am unable to move the weight even when doing light exercise I was considering a gastric sleve or band?

Next Tuesday I go for the steroid injections in the mentioned joints, but previous attempts have not been successful at all. Actually caused more discomfort.

Can you recommend the absolute BEST back surgeon that you know of, preferably in Australia.
Again, Thank you
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Consult an Interventional pain specialist.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Nice to hear from you.

I am sorry to say this, but I am not aware of any surgeon in Australia. You can just "google" for best surgeons in your locality or else you can visit any institutional setup where Interventional pain management specialists are available.

Hope I have justified your query. Have a great day.