Have severe leg, foot and hand cramps, legs feel like paralyzed. Hot bath helps. Have hepatitis C and cirrhosis

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
i have severe leg foot and hand cramps day and mostly at night. My electrolytes are within normal range. Hot baths stop it for about an hour, then they come back. They are so bad that my legs get paralized and I cant walk. they hurt so bad that I cry and scream. at least a 10 on pain scale. Sometimes pickel juice helps in about 5 minutes but they come back. I cant sleep more than 1 hr before it starts back up again. I juice organic fruits and vegetables and try to eat healthy. HELP! I have hep c and chirrosis
Posted Mon, 21 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Exact cause of Muscle cramps is still unknown.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

After going through the description, I understand your concern regarding your symptoms. Most of the time, night leg cramps occur for no known reason, and they're usually harmless. In general, night leg cramps are likely to be related to muscle fatigue and nerve problems.

Infact, till date there is no clear cut evidence for the cause of muscle cramps. But the most common cited theories include -
- Altered neuromuscular control
- Dehydration
- Electrolyte depletion
- Poor conditioning
- Muscle fatigue
- Doing a new activity

In rare situations, night leg cramps can be associated with an underlying disorder, such as peripheral artery disease — in which narrowed arteries reduce blood flow to your limbs, Diabetes or spinal stenosis.

Self-care Activities that might help prevent night leg cramps include:
• Drinking plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration
• Stretching your leg muscles or riding a stationary bicycle for a few minutes before you go to bed
• Massaging the cramped muscle with your hands or with ice
• Walking or jiggling the leg
• Taking a hot shower or warm bath
• Foods such as bananas, potatoes, prune juice and dried fruit may be helpful in relieving muscle cramps
• Including calcium fortified foods like seafood and fish, almonds, flaxseed, oats, parsley, prunes, sesame seeds, tofu and XXXXXXX can help to stave off muscle spasm. Vitamin D supplements will also help in relieving myalgia's.
• Natural and holistic treatments are also highly effective in reducing muscle spasms and providing relief. Useful herbal remedies that help to treat involuntary muscle spasms include Celery seeds, Cramp bark and warm, moist herbal packs. --Effective natural painkillers include meadowsweet and white willowbark.
-Passiflora is an excellent muscle relaxant, while herbs like Devil’s Claw provide natural anti-inflammatory action.
-Aromatherapy oils can be used together with massage to provide welcome relief from muscle spasm.
• Avoid foods acidic foods and drinks like tomatoes and vinegar which blocks the body’s natural ability to absorb calcium.

Partly, your muscle cramps may also be attributed to the side effects of Aldactone, which causes hyperkalemia (increased potassium levels) and Lasix, which produces Hypokalemia (low potassium levels). So, both Hyper & Hypokalemia's are associated with Myalgias, Muscle weakness, Muscle cramps, fatigue & tingling sensations.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further