Have severe knee pain. Took tramadol. Prescribed percocet. Having diabetes and chronic osteo arthritis. Can I take after tramadol?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have severe knee pain which is getting worse and worse. I took tramadol 50mgm two hours ago but no relief. I have percocet as perscribed by the doctor. Can I take it so soon after the tramadol?
Posted Thu, 20 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 24 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us

I am Dr Vaibhav Gandhi, I am an Orthopaedic surgeon and knee specialist.
I have studied your case.

You are having severe pain after taking tramadol so you can take percocet immediately. In an ideal case with good pain tolerance you advice to wait for 4 hours interval between the two medicines.

As your knee pain is getting worse you can undergo intra-articular injection so that you will have relief for longer time. Your doctor should have advised and continue knee strengthening exercises.

There are other pain reducing options like physiotherapy – SWD (Short Wave Diathermy), IFT (Interference Therapy). Please consult a physiotherapy that could help you with this.